Beyond Old Windows: A Teacher's Thoughts Between Centuries

Wonder, Ponder, Share

Forum Home > Do you remember when or why ... > Just Kids, Now and Then

Terry
Administrator

Rick and I were at McDonalds yesterday (yes, there is something I will eat on their menu - a snack wrap with Chipotle sauce and no chicken ... it always causes a stir back in the kitchen, but they do it right, eventually.)

While we were there, we saw a Dad and son ordering, and Dad turned and gave the boy a shiny new coin he got in his change ... the little one looked up at his dad and said something we couldn't hear, but his dad then said "Put it in your shoe..." and as they walked out the door together, the little boy was carefully tucking the coin into his shoe.

Both Rick and I looked at each other at the same moment, smiled, and said "I remember doing that!" 

Do you? Remember when our belongings were so few and simple they could fit in our shoe?

--

Terry ~ not perfect, but enough.

May 8, 2010 at 3:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Karen Rowe

Shiny new loafers for school needed a copper coin to complete the look.

July 14, 2010 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry
Administrator

I just bought as new pair of bass weejuns on sale in maine ... and immediately put two pennies in ... back to school shoes are a continuing tradition, though once every decade now... ... wore saddle shoes in Boston but when we moved to town I bought my first pair of loafers from Arthur Rauseo ... saved up a long time for those!

July 14, 2010 at 10:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Karen Rowe

Have just finished reading A Quilter"s Quarters  ( sigh... nostalgia blended with awe for your abundant creative gifts). Memory: red tomato pin-holder, which lies in my night stand today.

--
July 15, 2010 at 1:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry
Administrator

Glad someone shares those memories ... I have a few now, mine... Mum's ... Marie's ... never knew until Marie taught me that the little dangling strawberry was filled with emery and meant to sharpen the pins and needles...:)

July 15, 2010 at 2:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Kay

Terry at July 15, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Glad someone shares those memories ... I have a few now, mine... Mum's ... Marie's ... never knew until Marie taught me that the little dangling strawberry was filled with emery and meant to sharpen the pins and needles...:)

Didn't you have Miss Prendible in the Andrew School in South Boston.?

--

Big Sister, Kay

August 28, 2010 at 2:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Terry
Administrator

Kay at August 28, 2010 at 2:23 PM

Terry at July 15, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Didn't you have Miss Prendible in the Andrew School in South Boston.?

Yes - I had forgotten her name! The same name as Trish and Rob's kindergarten teacher here in Georgetown.  The other names I remember are Mrs. Coughlin (who had been Dad's teacher when she was younger) and Miss P:hillips (which was the same name as Trish's second grade teacher here in town.) Mrs. Coughlin read us a book in 4th grade, Twig,  which inspired me to read a book to my students each year...one memory triggers another!

September 26, 2010 at 2:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.